Do you ever think back on how much you used to love to go see live music? Well what happened? You got lazy, that’s what happened. So I’m gonna break it down for you. Here are my top 5 picks for the shows not to be missed during the month of January.
1) Saturday, Jan 7 – The Suffers (with Ryan Scroggins @ The Trenchtown Texans) @ Rudyard’s. What can you say about The Suffers? Reggae/ska vibe, rowdy, danceable, fun and local vocal royalty, Kam Franklin, on the mic. ‘Nough said.
2) Saturday, Jan 7 – thelastplaceyoulook (with Faceplant, and Sundown Audio) @ Scout Bar Clear. New to fan-dom myself, I first saw thelastplaceyoulook at BestFest back in September 2011. LOVE THEM! With an ever so slight moody, indie rock sound, these guys are truly talented.
3) Jan 12 – Wu-Tang Klan @ House of Blues. Do I really need to tell you who Wu-Tang is? If you don’t know who they are, you probably don’t need to be going to shows. Just stay home.
4) Jan 13 – Reverend Horton Heat (with Reckless Kelly) @ House of Blues. If you’re old school to theHoustonmusic scene, you know and love the Reverend Horton Heat. Rocky Billy, beer drinkin’ fun!
5) Jan 17 – Old 97′s (with Those Darlings) @ House of Blues. With classic like Big Brown Eyes and Four Leaf Clover, what is there not to like? I’m not sure if it’s the fact that thee guys are from Dallas or if it’s that they just make great music but they’ve been going strong in Texas for more than a decade.
My top pick…it’s a tie between Wu-Tang and the Old 97′s. What can I say, I’m old school.